Thursday, December 31, 2020

 

 
Glendale City Hall, June 7, 20


                         Artsakh Street, Glendale, CA October 10, 20



Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles.  He is from Barcelona. October 11, 20


Armenian Consulate General, Glendale, California 
October 29, 20
 

What a year! We all agree it was an usual one filled with many challenges and sad events.  If I put the events in chronological order, the first one that shocked us was the pandemic.  Gradually we learned about COVID-19. But it was confirmed in March and we had to face the reality.

 As a teacher, I was not ready.  The spring break started and after two days we were told not to return to school and work from home.  Had we known about it a few days earlier we could have sent home the textbooks.  After a month we were told that we would not see our students that school year.  I cried.  I was adjusting to reality from day to day. 

Later, we watched a live murder in front of our eyes.  We watched how George Lloyd was killed on May 25.  I watched the funeral through live streaming on June 4. As I was listening to Reverend  Al Sharpton I was crying hard. It was touching. So on June 7, I attended the  demonstration for Black Lives Matter in Glendale, even though I was very careful not to catch or transmit the virus. I wore my mask and did not touch, hug, or shake hands with anybody. But there were many people close to each other.  It was inspiring to see many Armenians and Latinos united.  Fighting for justice was important. Many Glendale School District's administrators and school board members participated. We saw many riots and rallies all over the world.

 The new school year started with distance learning.  Both teachers, parents, and students were better prepared. Students got their textbooks and school supplies. Labor Day weekend was extremely hot. I was frustrated with the heat.  A few days later we had fires in different areas of Los Angeles. I was teaching via Zoom with all the windows closed.  Luckily, the smoke made the air cooler, but it was hard to breathe.  For the first time, after five months of staying home, I drove to San Diego to get away from the smoke.  A few days later we had a minor earthquake.  I screamed out of frustration.  Enough is enough.  Every day something new was happening.

 In September Azerbaijan attacked Artsakh.  Armenia was in a war.  Armenia was fighting high-tech drones and arms supplied by Israel and Turkey. Russia was watching and letting the killings continue.  Armenians organized all over the world.  There was an excitement to get active.  Many went to demonstrations.  Armenian youth organized civil disobedience by blocking traffic on major streets and freeways in Los Angeles. Many young men died protecting Artsakh and Armenia.  Finally, the war ended, but with a big loss. 

 Personally, I know people who died from the virus in different countries. I also know many who recovered.  The elections in the U.S. was another frustrating situation. The lack of civility, rude comments on social media, "I know everything" mentality was thought-provoking.  There were many wars in different places. But for me, the worst was the senseless war in Armenia.  A year ago, Armenia was growing and thriving. Many young people died.

 I have learned to be thankful for what I have. I have learned to take care of myself first and not feel guilty for my blessings.   I had to be strong, resilient, and positive for my second graders. I know it is fine to feel numb or angry.  We deal with distress in different ways. I have learned not to open my heart to everybody. Not many have good listening skills. I can still be friends with them but at a different level. I have realized that sharing knowledge is good. It was a crazy year. It was full of sadness. I am going to remember the lessons that I have learned.

 

No comments: